Teaching & Learning
The RBK Difference
- An application-oriented international curriculum addressing the needs of your child as a twenty-first century global citizen.
- An international exposure to your child with a blend of Indian ethos.
- An unbeatable student ratio of 6:1 which indicates proper attention to each child and an eradication of tuition culture.
- A talented team of teachers from across the world which facilitates cross-cultural learning for your child.
- Student-centered methodology empowers your child to blossom as a personality.
- State-of-the-art infrastructure and the latest technology which creates an ideal environment for learning, evolving and growing.
- Activities beyond academics to focus on all round development of your child.
- SEN (Special Education Needs) department to assist students who may need an extra support on a temporary or long-term basis.
- Enrichment programs for gifted students.
The school has a very dynamic and talented faculty, highly qualified and experienced in International Curricula. We at RBKIA believe that every teacher is also a learner who needs to continually adapt to the dynamic needs of the twenty-first century. Hence our qualified faculty makes it a point to attend IBO workshops conducted in India and abroad. This is of course apart from regular in-house training sessions conducted in the school. These sessions provides opportunities for our teaches to share experiences, teaching practices and methodologies from differing perspectives and from different parts of the world.
IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) at RBKIA
- The PYP programme is recognized all over the world.
- The curriculum picks the best from many different countries.
- Child centered-The children have greater ownership of the learning process.
- Establishes active learning through inquiry based learning.
- Flexible, yet comprehensive curriculum with international standards.
- Children learn HOW to learn not just WHAT to learn.
- The PYP creates a common framework for schools and students around the world. As a result families can move easily to a
PYP school anywhere in the world and know that the learning philosophies and values will remain consistent.
- The International Baccalaureate Organization is dedicated to training and supporting international teachers,
which means that students receive high quality instruction from well-prepared teaching professionals.
IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) at RBKIA
RBKIA offers the Middle Years Programme (MYP) - We are a MYP school, which is a coherent and comprehensive curriculum framework that develops concepts, lifelong learning, skills and attitudes and as part of the IB continuum of international education, naturally follows the PYP and is preparation for the DP.
The Middle Years Programme (MYP) is designed as a five-year programme for students aged from 11 to 16. In this programme, emphasis is placed on developing skills and attitudes, understanding of concepts and the knowledge needed to participate in an increasingly global society. It is intended as an inclusive programme that can cater to all students and provide them with opportunities that will enable them to develop and challenge their own personal values.
The subject groups provide a broad and balanced foundation of knowledge of eight subject disciplines. The MYP subjects offered at RBKIA are:
- Language A – English, the language of instruction
- Language B – the national language and/or a foreign language
- Humanities – History, Geography, Business Studies, Economics
- Sciences – Physics, Chemistry and Biology
- Arts – Visual Arts, Indian Music and Western Music
- Physical Education
- Technology – Information and Communication Technology
These are contexts through which the curriculum content interacts with the real world. Diverse subjects are also linked through the five areas of interaction which are:
- *Approaches to learning – that encourages students in learning how to learn and how to evaluate information critically.
- *Community service – that encourages students to become aware of their roles and responsibilities as members of communities.
- *Health and social education – that encourages students to explore personal, physical and societal issues to develop body and mind.
- *Environment – that encourages students to become aware of their interdependence with the world and also develop responsible and positive attitude towards the environment.
- *Human Ingenuity – that encourages students to examine and reflect on the ingenious ways in which humans think, create and initiate change.
This is a significant body of work undertaken by all MYP students over an extended period of time in the fifth year of the programme. It is the product of the student’s initiative and creativity. It is a culminating activity through which the students present their understanding of real world themes concepts and issuesMYP Assessment
MYP uses criteria-referenced assessment. Each subject group will have specific objectives which are directly related to assessment criteria. Each criterion for each subject has a maximum level. Students are assessed and given a level close to their ability. The levels for each subject are then added, the total finding a place in the boundaries provided by the IB, corresponding to a scale of 1-7.
IB Diploma Programme at RBKIA
The IB Diploma Programme is one of the most prestigious pre-university courses in the world which has been designed to achieve academic proficiency, civic responsibility and international understanding. It is a programme offered to the students post Grade X (IGCSE\ICSE\SSC\or any other equivalent course). Diploma Programme qualification is preferred over all other programmes by reputed Universities and Institutions for admissions in India and abroad.
At RBKIA, we strongly believe in the philosophy of IB. We endeavor to offer a challenging environment to our students for them to develop a multifaceted personality. The Diploma requires students to study 6 subjects, out of which 3 are studied at Higher Level and 3 at Standard Level. Apart from this, three core areas of IBDP are- Theory of Knowledge (TOK), Creativity, Action and Service (CAS) and Extended Essay (EE). We provide opportunities in the field of sports and creativity through our CAS programme. Also, through Service Programmes, we sensitize students to the needs of other people. Theory of Knowledge (TOK) encourages students to explore knowledge through different perspectives and the Extended Essay (EE) develop independent research and analytical skills.Subjects offered at RBKIA for DP are:
- Group 1
- English A Language and Literature (HL\SL)
- Group 2
- Hindi B (HL\SL)
- French ab initio
- Group 3
- Business and Management (HL\SL)
- Economics (HL\SL)
- Psychology (HL\SL)
- Group 4
- Biology (HL\SL)
- Chemistry (HL\SL)
- Environmental Systems and Societies (SL)
- Physics (HL\SL)
- Group 5
- Mathematics Studies SL
- Mathematics (HL\SL)
- Group 6
- Visual Art (HL\SL)
Cambridge Checkpoint for Grade 8
At RBKIA, the Grade 8 teaching culminates in the Cambridge Checkpoint Examinations.The Cambridge Checkpoint tests:
- Are available in English, Mathematics and Science
- Are valued and accepted throughout the world for their high standers of assessment.
- Were created with an international audience in mind so that they are suitable for students of all cultures and language backgrounds.
- Provide your child's teachers with detailed information about the strengths and weaknesses of their pupils in order to focus their teaching.
The International General Certificate of Secondary Education, or IGCSE, is an international qualification for school students. IGCSE was developed by University of Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) in 1988, and is currently offered as a qualification by CIE.
The IGCSE is typically taken by 14 to 16-year–olds, and it prepares students for further academic work, including progression to A Level, AS Level study and the IB Diploma Programme.
Cambridge IGCSE provides a broad study programme and cover subjects from a variety of areas: Languages, Humanities, Social Sciences, Mathematics, Creative, Technical and Vocational. With a choice of Core and Extended papers in most subjects, IGCSE is suitable for students of different ability levels.
At RBK, students in classes IX and X normally select a total of 8 subjects. They all study First Language English, English Literature (Optional) and either French or Hindi from Group 1. They have Sciences from Group 3. They choose a subject each from Group 2, 4 and 5. Normally, students take 8 subjects in IGCSE and only in exceptional circumstances, they take 7 subjects.
Besides academic support, RBKIA offers enrichment activities, like the Trinity Graded Examination in Spoken English (GESE), Speech and Drama and IPM which have been running successfully for over 6 years. The activities are aimed at enriching the students’ experiences, developing skills and thus raising standards throughout the school. Students can voluntarily enroll for any of the activities offered.IPM Mathematics Examinations:
RBK International Academy promotes the IPM Examinations from the Institute of Promotion of Mathematics. This Mathematics Scholarship Examination syllabus comprises of thought provoking and challenging topics, thus exposing some fascinating facets of Mathematics.
The syllabus strives towards making the generally dreaded subject of Math fun and easy. Students enjoy solving these analytical brain tickling problems. Fast calculations help students to perform well in school and later on in college too.Trinity Examinations:
Trinity College London, the international examinations board incorporating Trinity Guildhall, offers accredited qualifications in English language and the performing and creative arts. Trinity’s Graded Examinations in Spoken English (GESE) are a progressive series of twelve graded levels, taking students from their first steps in English to near first-language fluency.
The GESE are one- to one, face- to face examinations with a trained UK based examiner, who is a native speaker of English. At RBKIA we offer Trinity Graded Examinations based on the level of fluency in English of a student.
Extra / Co-Curricular Programme
RBKIA offers a broad selection of extracurricular activities for students to participate in throughout the school year. They are designed to supplement our school curriculum and provide opportunities for students to develop interpersonal skills, initiative and extend their learning.Out Door & Indoor Games:
RBKIA provides ample opportunities to its students in sports to develop a complete all round personality. Students are coached in football, basketball, athletics and indoor games such as chess and carom. Sports give an opportunity to our students to develop their physical skills and to remain healthy and active. Students also experience the pleasure of achievement with such activities.Physical Education and Sports Programmes:
Although RBKIA has its own designated and professional physical education staff, it is also associated with a sports education company – Imperial international Sports Academy (IISA). This group offers an all school level program known as PEAK.PEAK-Physical Education for All Kids structured Curriculum:
- The curriculum includes several sports and each curriculum is designed by internationally acclaimed experts who are stationed in India.
- Is based on progressive, age appropriate exercise programmes which use age appropriate equipment.
- Includes a bi-annual total fitness report card (The Health O’ Meter) which is designed by Pediatricians and Sports Scientist to accurately evaluate all the aspects that can potentially affect the growth of a child. This report card also assesses the various sports skills of a child.
- In addition, the curriculum follows the NASPE standards which satisfies all the requirements of various school boards in India such as ICSE, IGCSE, CBSE, IB (Satisfies PYP, MYP) etc.
RBKIA has also recently become associated with a Jr. NBA Association programme to teach and promote Basketball through professionally trained instructors at an age-appropriate level for grades 4 to 10.